Removing Window Decorations

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 10:12:41 CET 2005

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 12:04:05AM -0500, Jonathan B. Horen wrote:
> If I understand correctly, the original poster is (like me) looking for
> some way to configure an application so that there is no bulky titlebar
> with buttons, perhaps even no border.  In my case, I have several
> instances of xclock in the upper-righthand corner of my workspaces,
> letting me quickly know what time it is out on the US West Coast, as
> well as in the Middle East and GMT.  I'm sure that there are other apps
> where this would be advantageous.  Xmms provides this capability as a
> built-in configuration option.

Yes, I do exactly this with Solaris CDE, I run 'clock' on my desktop
and set my configuration so that 'clock' has no title bar or anything
and thus is just a rectangular clockface.

BTW is there anything as nice as 'clock' for Linux?  It allows me to
configure it so it has an analogue clockface with the day and date
underneath, I've not seen any other clock which is so neat.

> If configuring window decoration on a per-application basis would become
> possible in the near future, an additional facility would also be
> convenient: adding a mechanism for moving a window using the mouse,
> other than by its titlebar (Fvwm does this, through a menu which is
> accessed by clicking-right in the root window).

My 'clock' still has a two pixel wide border that allows one to grab
it (with difficulty!) for moving and resizing etc.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."