my favourite feature has been killed

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Tue Jan 25 00:24:31 CET 2005

Bruce Miller wrote:
> One feature I think I miss, is some visual cue to distinguish
> the workspaces -- my workspaces have similar window arrangements,
> just different stuff _in_ the windows...
>
> Something like different backgrounds per workspace, or some other
> theming difference, or the workspace name visible somewhere or ... ?
>
> Does anything like this sound desirable/doable ?

I've been thinking about the same sort of thing.  I sometimes start
an xterm and make it a single line high, do "echo Bug #xxxx - description",
and then scroll it back to display the echo output.  I know there are
better ways to display a line of text, but I just haven't taken the time
to look into them.

It would be cool if there was something simple built in to the window
manager to do this.  Or maybe a panel plugin that would track the current
workspace and display either the workspace name or a configurable string.
If I wasn't so busy at the moment (I'm even about 500 msgs behind in this
list alone), I might take this as an opportunity to learn how to do a
panel plugin.  Hopefully someone will beat me to it. :-)

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA