ANNOUNCE: Mousepad 0.1.0

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Jan 20 13:37:17 CET 2005

Andrew Conkling wrote:
> On 20/01/05 02:27:24, Biju Chacko wrote:
>
>> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>>
>>> to actually be on topic, i'm *not* in favor of adding syntax
>>> highlighting to mousepad.  i just don't think that's the point of
>>> it.   use something less lightweight if you need highlighting.
>>> mousepad  should be for jotting down random notes, editing config
>>> files, stuff  like that.  you don't need highlighting.  hell, the
>>> code for doing just  syntax highlighting would likely be half the
>>> size of the current  codebase.
>>
>> I agree. Being Fast and responsive is most important.
>
> gVim is and it's packed with features.

While I agree that VIM is probably is the fastet and featureful editor
(yes, emacs is featureful as well, but IMHO not that fast), its not
suited for the usual desktop user.

BTW: Concerning syntax highlightning, there's GtkSourceView already.
Adding an optional dependency on GtkSourceView (for people that actually
want syntax highlightning) looks way better to me, than hacking
something of your own. Just my 0.02€... ;-)

Benedikt