ANNOUNCE: Mousepad 0.1.0

James Tappin james at tappin.me.uk
Wed Jan 19 21:22:42 CET 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:02:51 -0800
"Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Moritz Heiber wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:48:57 -0700
> >Matt Thompson <thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu> wrote:
> >

> >>I'll third it.  Of course, you only need to provide highlighting for
> >>Fortran 95 and zsh.  Nothing else is needed.
> >>

> >Nah .. you're missing 'Fourdan'ish' there .. we definitely need syntax
> >highlighting for that. 8-)
> >

> yzah!
>
> to actually be on topic, i'm *not* in favor of adding syntax
> highlighting to mousepad.  i just don't think that's the point of it.
> use something less lightweight if you need highlighting.  mousepad
> should be for jotting down random notes, editing config files, stuff
> like that.  you don't need highlighting.  hell, the code for doing just
> syntax highlighting would likely be half the size of the current
> codebase.

I tend to agree. For editing code there's emacs with syntax highlighting,
bracket matching, auto-indentation etc. Mousepad looks to me to be ideal
for quick editing where the only vital thing is a toggle-able word wrap
(off for config files; on for notes) which I see is there. Very nice as it
is.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james at tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering