programming two-state launcher

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 19 00:02:39 CET 2005

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:

>I agree.  If Linux is to have mass appeal, it should be relatively easy for
>the computer semi-literate to handle, without having to be saddled with
>over-stuffed desktops.  One way to accomplish that is to provide more
>instruction to the semi-tyro in the implementation of various features of a
>desktop.  Commented sample scripts noted in a user's manual would be a good
>start at that.

You make a good point, and documentation is something that anyone who is
familiar with the software can write.  In fact, I'd argue that it's
generally a bad idea for the developers to write end-user documentation
for their own software, since we tend to know our software very well,
and are unlikely to know exactly what the end-user might need help in
understanding.  Now, in larger projects, with many modules, developers
can help write docs for modules that they don't generally hack on, but
we don't really have all that many people.  It would be great if some of
you guys who enjoy testing and playing with the non-final-release
versions would take the time to look through our docs to see where they
can be improved.  At the very least, if you're sitting around using our
software, and something doesn't make sense to you, and you have the
thought "man, it would be nice if that were documented somewhere", then
just go ahead and do it.  Document it, and submit a patch.  We really do
want Xfce to be easy to use and well-documented, but some of us
sometimes have trouble making time to code, let alone to write docs.

    -b