Startup items?

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 21:06:14 CET 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:54:19 -0800, mark_taber <mark.taber at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>  First, let me say congratulations on xfce 4.2.  A staunch Gnome supporter,
> I have made the switch to xfce 4.2.  Excellent, just excellent.  I already
> have a fairly fast machine; what I love about xfce is that I can tell that I
> have a fast machine!
>
>  Now, for my question.  I have a couple of items that in Gnome are run on
> startup--the RHN notification icon (the [in]famous red ball) and my
> Fireststarter firewall.  Under xfce, these don't seem to be starting.  I
> already have 'Launch Gnome services on startup' selected in Sessions and
> Startup settings.

The "Launch Gnome services" launches daemons that hardcore Gnome
programs expect to have running.

>  This is not a major tragedy--I can very easily start them manually; it
> would just be icing on the cake.

But there is hope! Is the programs you run support session management
(and they should) just start everything you want to run when you
login, logout and as you do, check the "Save session for future
logins" box. Then log back in and all should be great.

Anything that doesn't support session management can be symlinked to
~/Desktop/Autostart. Xfce will start apps in that folder on login as
well.

>  Thanks,
>  Mark Taber
>  State of California