Dumb Question

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Jan 15 18:35:40 CET 2005

Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> On Saturday 15 January 2005 04:48, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>
>>Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
>>
>>>I will be grabbing XFCE when it comes out in final form this weekend.
>>>Being a belt-and-suspenders type (very risk averse) I have an elementary
>>>question before I start:
>>>
>>>I notice that there are two installers for XFCE.  One is for XFCE and the
>>>other is for GTK+XFCE engine.  What is the difference between the two?  I
>>>don't think I need both.
>>
>>The gtk2-xfce-engine-installer contains the Xfce Gtk+ Theme Engine,
>>whereas the xfce4-installer contains the Xfce Desktop. They are separate
>>because the Gtk+ Theme Engine has to be installed in the same prefix as
>>Gtk+ itself, whereupon Xfce can be installed basicly everywhere on your
>>system.
>>

> Thank you for your answer to my question.  I have another:  When would one
> take the GTK+XFCE engine rather than the XFCE desktop?

You take the xfce4 installer if you want the Xfce desktop. The Gtk+ Xfce
engine contains _additional_ and optional Gtk+ themes, which will give
you the typical Xfce look&feel.

> Thanks
> dj tuchler

HTH,
Benedikt

PS: Please discuss this on the mailinglist, so others can find these
answers in the archives and we don't need to answer the same questions
again and again.