Dumb Question

Bruce Miller mistercool at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 15 15:53:06 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
>
>> I will be grabbing XFCE when it comes out in final form this weekend.
>> Being a belt-and-suspenders type (very risk averse) I have an
>> elementary question before I start:
>>
>> I notice that there are two installers for XFCE.  One is for XFCE and
>> the other is for GTK+XFCE engine.  What is the difference between the
>> two?  I don't think I need both.
>

> The gtk2-xfce-engine-installer contains the Xfce Gtk+ Theme Engine,
> whereas the xfce4-installer contains the Xfce Desktop. They are separate
> because the Gtk+ Theme Engine has to be installed in the same prefix as
> Gtk+ itself, whereupon Xfce can be installed basicly everywhere on your
> system.

A similar question that occured to me: I see that fedora rpms will (probably)
be available as well; does xfwm4 come with the compositing support enabled,
or do we need to compile from source for that?

If the latter, it would be good to clarify that somewhere; probably on the
download page, rather than the announcement, but ...
I hesititate to bring this up so soon before release, but it will probably
solve some mysteries for people...

[I've installed 4.1.99.3-1, which _seems_ not to have it enabled... or else
I've got something misconfigured]

Thanks; and looking forward to 4.2!
Bruce