focus follows mouse confusion (bug?) in 4.2rc3

Juraj Ziegler next at trip.sk
Thu Jan 13 16:54:08 CET 2005

Hi.

I face the following problem in xfce 4.2rc3 (4.1.99.3+cvs.20041223-1)
I have focus set to "focus follows mouse".

Usually, it works as expected. Where the mouse is, there's the focus.
Even during workspace switches via keyboard, it behaves as expected - i.e. I
have xfce terminal and gaim on workspace 1, firefox on workspace 2, mouse is
over terminal, switch to ws 2, move mouse, switch back to ws 1, mouse is over
gaim -> gaim has focus.

However, there is one situation, I can succesfully repeat, where the focus
behaviour is unexpected:

* same window layout as before.
* firefox has focus
* firefox opens a transition (I guess that's the word) window asking if I
  really want to use my POST parameters again (when reloading a page)
* I click on OK, window goes away
* firefox still has focus
* keyboard switch to ws1
* mouse is over has no focus
* switch back to ws2, firefox also does not have focus
* only way to reach focus is to switch to an empty ws and back
OR click the terminal window
OR move the mouse into a different window

Second situation:
* one workspace, showing terminal and xvncviewer
* the windows overlap, but none of them are full-screen
* mouse is over vnc (in the place where vnc and terminal overlap), vnc is on
  top, has focus
* alt-tab to switch windows
* terminal is on top, mouse is now above terminal but xvncviewer still has the
  focus

I have looked into the mailing list archives and only thing that came close
is: http://lunar-linux.org/pipermail/xfce-bugs/2004-August/001380.html
Bugzilla did not provide more search hits either.

I'm not sure if there a race condition here going on. To my amateur-programmer
mind it seems like, that there's a piece of code, which gets triggered on ws
changes, to check above which window the mouse is and put focus to that
window. This code however, does not get run for some reason, when I just
dismissed the transitional window.

I think that either there's a bug in the focus code, or I don't really
understand the semantics of the focus-follows-mouse focus mode. Anyway, the
described behaviour is non-intuitive at least.

If this is a bug indeed, I'll happily file a bug and help you out debugging
it. If this is the correct and expected behaviour, then I'd have to say that I
don't care if it is correct, if it is driving me nuts :) and I might end up
using some other wm/de, even though I like xfce a lot.

j.

"We did a risk management review.  We concluded that there was no risk of any
management." -- Dilbert
:wq