Weird user-specific malfunction problem

Ross Laird ross at rosslaird.info
Mon Jan 10 21:24:02 CET 2005

I wonder if anyone can assist with this (I've tried posting to both the xfce
forum and the os-cillation forum without success -- but many thanks for the
attempts by various people to help):

After upgrading xfce (using the os-works sources) to 4.2, all users but root
share the problem that the window controls are missing and clickable cursor
placement does not work (for example, I can't click into the address bar of
the browser). Also, hovering over the mail icon on the panel causes the
terminal icon also to be selected.

The root user is the only user for whom xfce functions properly.
Here's what I have tried so far to fix this problem:

1) Erasing .config, .cache, and .xfce4 files and directories for various
users.

2) Copying over (using rsync) the .cache, .config and .xfce4 files from the
correctly-functioning root user (being careful to correct the permissions
afterward).

3) Looking for errors in xfwm4 (none have shown up) and in my .xsession-errors
files for the users in question. Also I have looked at .xinitrc etc.

4) Installing and running xfce4 by way of the os-cillation install packages
(and putting the files in a distinct location from the Debian packages). The
same problem shows up.

5) I have also tried purging and reinstalling xfce from the Debian
repositories and from the os-cillation repositories. No effect.

Xfce used to work fine on my system -- no problems at all.
All other window managers also work fine (kde, gnome, wmaker, etc.).
Anybody know how I might tackle this?

Thanks in advance.

Ross Laird