Xfmedia -- random play large collections

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 6 13:22:32 CET 2005

i'm not really sure what you mean - xfmedia doesn't sort files at all.
when it starts playing in shuffle mode, it picks a random number between
0 and (num_playlist_entries - 1), and plays whichever number comes up.
it also maintains a bytemap the size of the number of playlist entries
to keep track of what it's already played in the current shuffle.  the
only slow part is that GtkListStore is implemented as a doubly-linked
list with head and tail pointers, so it's possible if it has to find an
entry in the middle of the list, it could take a while, since it has to
iterate either forward from the beginning, or backwards from the end.  i
can't see how this could take several minutes, though.  with just under
5000 tracks in my playlist, it never takes more than 100ms or so to
start a new track when the previous one finishes.  at any rate, the only
thing that matters here is the number of tracks; total size is pretty
irrelevant.

so, the fact that it's using virtually no CPU, and not in some
RAM-consuming loop leads me to believe there's something else at fault.
what version of libxine are you using?  is the GUI still responsive
throughout this?  if the GUI *is* responsive, it's likely a problem with
libxine, as the hangup must be in another thread (xfmedia itself is
single-threaded, xine works in the other threads).  please try to
reproduce this with the latest version of libxine (1.0 final).

if you can, try running xfmedia through gdb, and ctrl+c while it's
sitting there.  get a backtrace *of all threads* to see what it's doing.

    -brian