Xfmedia -- random play large collections

aec brat at magma.ca
Thu Jan 6 12:48:22 CET 2005

Hello

I am using Xfmedia on debian sid with the os-cillation.de packages. My
music collection is relatively large I suppose, over 80gb and grows by
around 10gb per month.

One thing I like about Xfmedia is that it loads my full collection
in a few minutes, xmms will do that too but much slower and beep
sometimes crashes, rythmbox always crashes loading that many files.

The only problem is sorting, if i choose random play, Xfmedia takes
a very long time to sort the files, as of yet I have never had the
patience to see exactly how long it takes and closed the app after 5
or 6 minutes of waiting. (I will try later to time this if it would
help)

While waiting, I did look at free and top , both cpu (p4 3.0gz) and
ram (2gb) were hardly being used, so that isnt a problem, its not
locking up anything thankfully which makes this a minor issue at best.

Xmms does not have this problem and randomizes my playlist in under a
minute. I am just wondering if there is something I could do to make
Xfmedia handle random sorts on large collections.

I should say some people have told me not to load that many files,
asking a media player to load 80gb is unreasonable, to which my reply
is usually along the lines of why not? :)

Anyhow, this is not complaint, I love xfmedia, but just a heads up
on the "large file list" issue.

--
Angelina Carlton