How to start xscreensaver automatically when starting XFCE?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 5 23:42:12 CET 2005

Remco Lubbers wrote:

>On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:21:44 +0100, glmovzs said:
>
>>On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:31:55AM -0700, Myles Green wrote:
>> > Nothing, except that if the user logs in via GDM (ie run level 2) then
>> > ~/.xinitrc doesn't get read but ~/.xsession does. The ~/.xinitrc file is
>> > only read when using startx from the console (ie run level 3). So the
>> > user needs to add that line to their ~/.xsession - of course adding it
>> > to both wouldn't harm anything.
>>

>> That works! I added the command in ~/.xsession and that worked!
>>

>Not for me :-(
>
>I also use gdm. If I don't use gdm, starting xfce from runlevel 3,
>xscreensaver gets started.

[snip]

>Anybody have a tip?

i generally don't advocate recommending the "normal" ~/.xinitrc or
~/.xsession locations, as these may or may not get run depending on how
X is started, or which display manager you're using, or which session
entry you're using in your display manager, etc.  xfce has it's own
xinitrc file (~/.xfce4/xinitrc for xfce 4.0.x, must be executable; or
~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc for xfce 4.2rc).  4.2rc will automatically start
xscreensaver for you (in our xinitrc), so it shouldn't be an issue.  i
thought this was also the case for 4.0.x as well, but perhaps i'm
mistaken.  could it be a PATH-related issue?  perhaps xscreensaver is in
/usr/X11R6/bin, and that's not in the PATH.

at any rate, if you want to modify the default xinitrc that xfce uses to
start, copy it from /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc (or /etc/xfce4/xinitrc for
4.0.x) to the location in your homedir i mentioned above, and edit
away.  for 4.0.x, this file must be executable.  note that all this
won't work for the official 4.0.x debian pacakges, as they use a
different system of which i have little knowlege.

    -brian