keybinding in xfwm4 and windows keys

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 24 20:51:13 CET 2005

Peter Humphrey wrote:

>Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>

>>Peter Humphrey wrote:
>>

>>>Which bit does it flip?
>>>

>>Not sure what you mean.
>>

>Looks like I'm betraying my '70s training here. CTRL and SHIFT were
>modifiers at the hardware level which flipped bits 7 and 8 (do I mean 6 &
>7? It's a long time ago) as the key code was sent to the CPU. It's hard to
>know where ALT and Windows fit into this scheme.

Yes, I imagine things are a bit different - the so-called 'modifier'
keys probably behave identically to non-modifier keys, at least on the
hardware level.  Which implies....

>>>And how does Windows manage to make it operate alone?
>>>

>>I don't know, I'm no Windows programmer ^_~.  Perhaps Windows doesn't
>>make such a strong distinction between modifier and "normal" keys.
>>

>I wonder whether the distinction is more conceptual than physical. If you
>put a hardware device on the keyboard cable you'll find a code generated
>when the Windows key is pressed, I'm pretty sure. That makes it a real key
>in my book.

As someone else mentioned, I suppose it's possible to use xmodmap to
turn the scan code that the windows key sends (or presumably even shift
or ctrl?) into a non-modifier key, and use it as you want.  Give it a
try and see what happens.

    -b