keybinding in xfwm4 and windows keys

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 20:48:25 CET 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:18:10 +0000, Peter Humphrey <prh at gotadsl.co.uk> wrote:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > > Which bit does it flip?
> > Not sure what you mean.
>
> Looks like I'm betraying my '70s training here. CTRL and SHIFT were
> modifiers at the hardware level which flipped bits 7 and 8 (do I mean 6 &
> 7? It's a long time ago) as the key code was sent to the CPU. It's hard to
> know where ALT and Windows fit into this scheme.
>
> > >And how does Windows manage to make it operate alone?
> > I don't know, I'm no Windows programmer ^_~.  Perhaps Windows doesn't
> > make such a strong distinction between modifier and "normal" keys.
>
> I wonder whether the distinction is more conceptual than physical. If you
> put a hardware device on the keyboard cable you'll find a code generated
> when the Windows key is pressed, I'm pretty sure. That makes it a real key
> in my book.

I'm pretty sure it works this way . . .

It's a real key, not a hardware modifier like Ctrl or Shift.

X.org and XFree86 map left and right Alt as left and right Meta, and
the windows key as left Super, which are all keys from the old
spaceship keyboards for lisp machines at MIT. I'm not sure how to
remap the key, but it's an X thing, not a Xfwm thing.

> --
> Rgds
> Peter Humphrey

CAPS LOCK: ITS LIKE THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME
-Erik