icon theme

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 23 20:23:42 CET 2005

Please don't email me off-list.  This is relevant to the discussion.

Jason Keltz wrote:

> > 1) Under "user interface" in the settings, and "icon theme", only
> "Rodent"
> > shows now and not Rodent AND hicolor as it did before.
> > 2) none of the new icon themes show up - Would this be because there
> are
> > no "index.theme" files in each of the
> > Amaranth/Gorilla/Lush/Noia/Nuvola/Wasp/gnome directories?
> >

> Yup.  They aren't freedesktop-compliant icon themes without the
> index.theme file.  That's all we're going to support.
>
> --
>
> ... does this mean that if I want to just have general icons available
> to the users that are not under any particular theme, that this isn't
> really doable with xfce?  certainly, one can just point a launcher
> icon at any graphic icon image and it works... but it would be nice if
> the user could pick up the icons in the listing that comes up when
> clicking on the icon button in the the "item properties" of a launcher
> item..
> things sure have got gotten more complicated icon-wise since the days
> of just picking the icons that you like for a particular app -- the
> whole theme thing for general system icons seems to make sense, but
> for apps? i dunno..

The icon categories listed in the panel are there for convenience, and
were chosen to attempt to be representative of the different types of
apps you might have on the system.  The dropdown list isn't supposed to
give you a list of all available icons (it never has).  If you want to
pick arbitrary icons, select "other icon", and find one on your system.
/usr/share/pixmaps/ is a common place to find a bunch of random icons,
and you can poke around in the specific theme directories as well
(though note that if you pick an absolute file name, it won't change if
the theme changes).

    -brian