xfce4.2 freezes

Scott Horowitz scott at theskyiscrape.com
Mon Feb 21 06:20:22 CET 2005

I've still gotten nowhere with this. Running xfce as root gives the same
result. Even if I just try to run xfce4-panel from a console in fluxbox
everything freezes up, and neither ctrl-alt-backspace or ctrl-alt-f1 do
anything. I tried having top running before I call xfce4-panel but that
wasn't any help.

I'm really out of ideas at this point. Nobody has any suggestions about
troubleshooting this? I suppose I can try compiling from source as a
last resort..

Scott

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Scott,
>
> When that happens, please switch to a console (using Ctrl+Alt+F1) and do
> a top to identify which process is looping.
>
> TIA
> Olivier.
>
> On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 14:16 -0700, Scott Horowitz wrote:
>
>>I don't know if I should be posting this here or on my distro's mailing
>>list.. but basically, I rebooted and now xfce freezes when starting up.
>>It had been working just fine until today. I use startxfce4,
>>xfce-session starts, I see the session splash - and then it gets to
>>doing something because my laptop fan goes into its highest speed.. but
>>I've let it work for 5+ minutes with no activity. And I can't
>>ctl-alt-backspace or anything, I have to physically restart.
>>
>>I've deleting my .cache, I'm renamed my .config to .config.bak, I've
>>uninstalled and reinstalled the Xfce4 group, and I'm still in the same
>>situation.
>>
>>I've also tried replacing startxfce4 with:
>>exec xfdesktop
>>and that seems to work (unless xfdesktop is supposed to give me a
>>background or a right-click? because I don't get those but I can
>>ctrl-alt-backspace out of X)
>>
>>If I instead use:
>>xftaskbar4 &
>>exec xfdesktop
>>I get a blank taskbar at the top and then it's again frozen. Have to
>>physically restart.
>>
>>Any ideas? How can I diagnose this problem? Thanks in advance..

-Scott Horowitz
http://www.theskyiscrape.com