xfce4-notes bug disrupts panel

Ondrej Mihalyi mihalyi at matfyz.cz
Wed Feb 16 22:46:33 CET 2005

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:35:56 -0500
Erik Harrison <erikharrison at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:20:13 +0100, Ondrej Mihalyi <mihalyi at matfyz.cz> wrote:
> > I was just hinking, if it is possible to some checking mechanism, that would not load "bad" plugin (removed it from panel conf) right the next time the panel is launched after crash.
> >
> > What I mean is something like make a log record into log file (followed by fflush) for each plugin initialization and after succesful initialization of all plugins it would log succes.  Next time it could check the log file and find out whether the plugins loaded succesfully or not (in this case it would skip the last plugin logged)
> >
> > It also happened to me, that a plugin (either xkbd plugin or another one) caused panel to crash immediately after launch and I had to find out, where is the cnfiguration for that panel plugin.  Think about a usual user - he just needs panel to 'just work' without any intervention., it doesn't matter whether some plugins load or not.
> >
> > Just an idea, I have completely no knowledge of the panel's source code, so don't shout at me, if it is not possible :)
> >

> Just off the top of my head, I would say that while this would be
> handy for crashes on plugin load, it doesn't handle the more common
> case of a plugin causing a crash later.
>
> -Erik

I know, I realized that perfectly, but that would be rather tricky to solve.  However, I believe, that most of the plugin crashes happen during initialization or right after that.  Furhtermore, if you add a plpugin and panel starts to crash, it's quite probable, that last installed plugin would cause that crash, and if it crashes later after initialization, you can remove it yourself without manually editting config files.

The problem that panel even doesn't start due to bad plugin is much more crucial.