Compositor woes

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at cox.net
Tue Feb 15 06:20:25 CET 2005

I am trying to get shadows and transparency to work, and I am getting
confusing symptoms.

I have 4.2.0, compiled with from the graphic installer, and with the
compositor enabled. This is confirmed by looking at config.log for xfwm4
which says "  $ ./configure --enable-compositor....".

I have x.org 6.8.2, compiled from source,  and I have the compositor
enabled in my X config file. This is confirmed by looking at Xorg.0.log
which says "(**) Extension "Composite" is enabled"

I have tried running xfwm4 with --compositor set to on, off, and auto. I
don't see any shadows, or transparency.

When I run "xcompmgr -c" I do get drop shadows, but no transparency. If
I leave xcompmgr running and kill xfwm4, the panel becomes transparent.

My video card is nvidia GeForce4 MX 440, X server is the open source
'nv' driver.

I'm out of clues.

Bob S.