Focus bug or feature?

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sat Feb 12 23:08:17 CET 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 15:45 +0100, Xavier Otazu wrote:
[...]
> 	If you also use Nedit, I would like to ask you a question. If I activate
> composer X.org extension (using either 6.8.1 or yesterday 6.8.2) I have problems
> when scrolling text in nedit. If I go to lower text lines it works ok, but if I
> go to higher lines, text becomes unreadable. Do you have also this problem? I
> tried with other editors (gedit, kedit) but this problem does not appear. This
> is the only reason I do not use composer extensions ... I love too much
> 'nedit' ... ;-)

This is because many Motif based application select the visual with the
most bits per pixel, which is an ARGB visual when the compositor is
enabled.

You can set "XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1" to instruct Xlib not to advertise
the ARBG depth/visuals.

This can be done either for the whole system by placing a file like
"/etc/profile.d/xorg.sh" containing:

export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1

Or just NEdit alone by using an alias, for example:

alias nedit="XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 nedit"

HTH
Olivier.