Fonts in Java based application in Xfce [solved]

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Thu Feb 10 14:18:35 CET 2005

Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

> jan wrote:
>

>> # The identifier line must be present.
>>     Identifier  "Generic Monitor"
>>
>>         DisplaySize  290 210
>

> I grepped man X and man xorg.conf for DisplaySize and came up with
> nothing.  Could you tell me where it comes from?

from `man xorg.conf`:

MONITOR SECTION
       The  config file may have multiple Monitor sections.  There
should nor-
       mally be at least one, for the monitor being used, but a
default  con-
       figuration will be created when one isn't specified.

       Monitor sections have the following format:

           Section "Monitor"
               Identifier "name"
               entries
           EndSection

       The  only mandatory entry in a Monitor section is the Identifier
entry.

       The Identifier entry specifies the unique name for this
monitor.   The
       Monitor  section  provides  information about the specifications
of the
       monitor, monitor-specific Options,  and  information  about  the
video
       modes  to  use  with  the  monitor.  Specifying video modes is
optional
       because the server now has a built-in  list  of  VESA  standard
modes.
       When  modes  are  specified explicitly in the Monitor section
(with the
       Modes, ModeLine, or UseModes keywords), built-in modes  with
the  same
       names  are not included.  Built-in modes with different names
are, how-
       ever, still implicitly included.

       The entries that may be used in Monitor sections are described below.

       VendorName  "vendor"
              This optional entry specifies the monitor's manufacturer.

       ModelName  "model"
              This optional entry specifies the monitor's model.

       HorizSync  horizsync-range
              gives the range(s) of horizontal sync frequencies
supported  by
              the  monitor.   horizsync-range may be a comma separated
list of
              either discrete values or ranges of values.  A range  of
values
              is two values separated by a dash.  By default the values
are in
              units of kHz.  They may be specified in MHz or Hz if MHz
or  Hz
              is added to the end of the line.  The data given here is
used by
              the Xorg server to determine if video modes are within the
spec-
              ifications of the monitor.  This information should be
available
              in the monitor's handbook.  If this entry is omitted, a
default
              range of 28-33kHz is used.

       VertRefresh  vertrefresh-range
              gives  the range(s) of vertical refresh frequencies
supported by
              the monitor.  vertrefresh-range may be a comma separated
list of
              either  discrete  values or ranges of values.  A range of
values
              is two values separated by a dash.  By default the values
are in
              units  of Hz.  They may be specified in MHz or kHz if MHz
or kHz
              is added to the end of the line.  The data given here is
used by
              the Xorg server to determine if video modes are within the
spec-
              ifications of the monitor.  This information should be
available
              in  the monitor's handbook.  If this entry is omitted, a
default
              range of 43-72Hz is used.

       DisplaySize  width height
              This optional entry gives the width and height, in
millimetres,
              of  the  picture  area  of the monitor. If given this is
used to
              calculate the horizontal and vertical pitch (DPI) of the
screen.

       Gamma  gamma-value

       UseModes  "modesection-id"
              Include the set of modes listed in the Modes section
called mod-
              esection-id.  This make all of the modes defined in that
section
              available for use by this monitor.

       Mode  "name"
              This is an optional multi-line entry that can be used to
provide
              definitions for video modes for the monitor.  In most
cases this
              isn't  necessary because the built-in set of VESA standard
modes
              will be sufficient.  The Mode keyword indicates the start
of  a
              multi-line video mode description.  The mode description
is ter-
              minated with the EndMode keyword.  The mode description
consists
              of the following entries:

              DotClock  clock
                  is the dot (pixel) clock rate to be used for the mode.

              HTimings  hdisp hsyncstart hsyncend htotal
                  specifies the horizontal timings for the mode.

              VTimings  vdisp vsyncstart vsyncend vtotal
                  specifies the vertical timings for the mode.

              Flags  "flag" ...
                  specifies  an optional set of mode flags, each of
which is a
                  separate string in  double  quotes.   "Interlace"
indicates
                  that  the mode is interlaced.  "DoubleScan" indicates
a mode
                  where each scanline is doubled.  "+HSync" and
"-HSync"  can
                  be  used  to  select  the  polarity  of  the  HSync
signal.
                  "+VSync" and "-VSync" can be used to select the
polarity  of
                  the  VSync  signal.  "Composite" can be used to
specify com-
                  posite sync on hardware where this is supported.
Addition-
                  ally, on some hardware, "+CSync" and "-CSync" may be
used to
                  select the composite sync polarity.

              HSkew  hskew
                  specifies the number of pixels (towards the  right
edge  of
                  the  screen)  by  which  the  display enable signal is
to be
                  skewed.  Not all drivers use this information.  This
option
                  might  become  necessary  to override the default
value sup-
                  plied by the server (if  any).   "Roving"  horizontal
lines
                  indicate  this value needs to be increased.  If the
last few
                  pixels on a scan line appear on the left of the
screen, this
                  value should be decreased.

              VScan  vscan
                  specifies  the  number  of times each scanline is
painted on
                  the screen.  Not all drivers use this  information.
Values
                  less  than 1 are treated as 1, which is the default.
Gener-
                  ally, the "DoubleScan" Flag  mentioned  above
doubles  this
                  value.

       ModeLine  "name" mode-description
              This  entry  is a more compact version of the Mode entry,
and it
              also can be used to specify video modes for the monitor.
is  a
              single  line  format  for specifying video modes.  In most
cases
              this isn't necessary because the built-in set of  VESA
standard
              modes will be sufficient.

              The  mode-description  is  in  four sections, the first
three of
              which are mandatory.  The first is the dot (pixel)
clock.   This
              is  a single number specifying the pixel clock rate for
the mode
              in MHz.  The second section is a list of four numbers
specifying
              the  horizontal  timings.   These  numbers are the hdisp,
hsync-
              start, hsyncend, and htotal values.  The third section is
a list
              of  four numbers specifying the vertical timings.  These
numbers
              are the vdisp, vsyncstart, vsyncend,  and  vtotal
values.   The
              final  section  is a list of flags specifying other
characteris-
              tics of the mode.  Interlace indicates that the mode  is
inter-
              laced.   DoubleScan indicates a mode where each scanline
is dou-
              bled.  +HSync and -HSync can be used to select the
polarity  of
              the  HSync  signal.  +VSync and -VSync can be used to
select the
              polarity of the VSync signal.  Composite can be used to
specify
              composite  sync  on hardware where this is supported.
Addition-
              ally, on some hardware, +CSync and -CSync may be used to
select
              the  composite  sync polarity.  The HSkew and VScan
options men-
              tioned above in the Modes entry description  can  also
be  used
              here.

              Some  Option flags that may be useful to include in
Monitor sec-
              tions (when needed) include "DPMS", and "SyncOnGreen".