Gnome menus in Xfce4.2?

Jan Bakuwel jan.bakuwel at int.greenpeace.org
Wed Feb 9 17:52:43 CET 2005

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your email.

> Assuming Crossover creates .desktop files for the menu, you could move
> them to your applications menu (mine's /usr/share/applications but it
> varies) and Xfce should pick them up.  If it doesn't create them, you
> could make them, using other entries as examples; they're not
> complicated.

CrossOver indeed creates .desktop files as you can see in:

myrw:/usr/share/gnome/apps# ls -al
total 0
drwxr-xr-x   6 root root 176 Feb  2 12:27 .
drwxr-xr-x  12 root root 408 Jan 20 12:22 ..
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 240 Sep 29 13:49 Borland Kylix 3
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 312 Feb  2 12:27 CrossOver
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  88 Jan 20 12:32 Internet
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root 200 Feb  2 12:56 Windows_Applications
myrw:/usr/share/gnome/apps#

I do see the Borland Kylix 3 and Internet menus ok (although the Borland
Kylix 3 menu lists everything twice), but I do not see the CrossOver and
Windows_Applications entries.

I tried copying the .desktop files from the directories mentioned above
to /usr/share/applications, removed the ~/.cache/xfce4/menu-cache
restarted the xfdeskop but still can't get those menu's to work.

> Just another idea, instead of running gnome-panel (I'm a bit partial to
> Xfce's, myself. :)

Yes.. if at all possible I'm trying not to mix both world if not necessary.

Any help is much appreciated!

cheers,
Jan

--

"It is an illusion to think that we are free to apply our increasing
knowledge in any way we choose. In reality we are struggling to deal

Information, Communication, Technology
Greenpeace International
Ottho Heldringstraat 5
1066 AZ  AMSTERDAM
Netherlands (MET)

direct    +31 (0)20 7182084
fax       +31 (0)20 5148151
reception +31 (0)20 5148150
email     jan.bakuwel&int.greenpeace.org
private   jan.bakuwel&hccnet.nl
(replace & by @ in the emailaddress)