Random Problems opening Matlab (Java based GUI)

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Tue Feb 8 20:54:51 CET 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 19:43 +0100, Xavier Otazu wrote:
> 	I am sorry, but I don't understand it. If you kill xfwm4 and problem disappear,
> why it means that Matlab has a problem with xfwm4? If problem dissapear there
> are two plausible explanations:
>
> 	1) The problem is in Matlab, which has a problem with xfwm4.
> 	2) The problem is in xfwm4, which has a problem with Matlab.
>
> 	To eliminate explanation 2) means that we accept the assumption that xfwm4 is
> perfect, i.e. it has no problem. Can we assure this?

It's not because a problem in a particular application shows only with a
window manager that the problem comes from the window manager.
Sometimes, developer make assumptions because they test with just one or
two window manager. There is not a single way of doing things.

I'm not saying xfwm4 is perfect, but matlab is an expensive closed
source application, which means that I can't go and download it and try
to figure it out.

Moreover, I could return the logic: xfwm4 works with all apps I know but
Matlab, why would the problem reside in xfwm4 then?

That why I said either ask the guys who have access to Matlab sources or
try by yourself (because I don't have Matlab and I cannot afford it,
that's it).

Cheers,
Olivier.