Inconsistent Workspace Names

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 23:36:33 CET 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 22:06:23 +0000, James Lee <leekk at freeshell.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed 4.2 on Sparc Solaris. On the older version, I
> had set the names of each workspace.
>
> Now on 4.2, I used Workspaces Settings to change the names
> of the workspaces. However, when I clicked on the top left
> hand corner of each window, under "Send to ...", I get the
> same number of workspaces, but the old names.
>
> I found that ~/.config/xfce4/mcs_settings/workspaces.xml
> contain the old names, but .xfce4/settings/workspaces.xml
> have the new names. When I change the names using the settings,
> this config file under config directory is not changed.
>
> Is this a bug? Or am I having some old config files that
> I should have deleted?

I'm not at my machine right now to give details, but it's more likely
that you actually have old MCS plugins (plugins for the settings
manager). Workspace settings were collapsed into the margins plugin,
so you should only see the independent workspaces panel if the old
plugin was left around from the 4.0 installation, which would explain
why it edits the old config file and doesn't actually change the
workspace names.

I recall this happening to me when I upgraded to 4.1CVS a while back.
You may want to check the archives for the exact filename of the
plugin and delete it.

> Thanks.
>
> James.

CAPS LOCK: ITS LIKE THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME
-Erik