xfdesktop and xplanet

Didier Trosset Didier.Trosset at acqiris.com
Thu Feb 3 09:27:27 CET 2005

Well, I managed to get both (xfdesktop for menus having an auto updating
xplanet) but there are a few different things to setup.

You need first to use xplanet generating your background image in a
file. For this, I added the following line to my ~/.xsession . It makes
xplanet running in background and regulary (5 minutes by default IIRC)
udpate the file :
/usr/bin/xplanet -proj=rect -geometry 1280x1024 \
   -output ~/var/xplanet.png &

Then I configured xfdesktop to use the generated image from xplanet.
This is simplay done through the UI. Check the Show image box, and set
the file to the generated ~/var/xplanet.png .

And now for the auto update, I just watched in the code and got that the
  xfdesktop is updating its display (the backgound) and fetching again
its sources (the image file) upon reception of a USR1 signal. That's why
I added a line to my crontab:

0,15,30,45      *       *       *       *       kill -USR1 \
   `ps -ef | awk '{ if ($8 == "xfdesktop") print $2; }'`

It send each quarter an hour the USR1 signal to the process named
'xfdesktop'. This can be enhanced cause sometimes the xfdesktop process
gets killed (don't know why) and thus the kill command outputs an error.

But I've been happy with it for a few months now.

Didier