Terminal really supports UTF-8?

Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 14:25:19 CET 2005

On 12/29/05, Lee Marks <leemarks at netspace.net.au> wrote:
> The manual says Terminal "implements an UTF-8 mode" which I presume
> means that UTF-8 is on by default?

It all depends on your locale.

> However I've had no luck getting it to work so far - only normal
> ascii characters get displayed properly, the rest are jibberish, but
> the kind of jibberish you'd expect from an app that is just
> interpreting the text stream as plain ascii.
>   [Plus I'm using a unicode font that has all the glyphs I need (ie.
> I'm not seeing boxes) so it definitely isn't a font issue.]
>
> Would anybody know how to get utf-8 working in Terminal? [Or at least
> confirm that this isn't supported!]

I've had no problems with it.  Check your locale (run 'locale').  Mine
(for the US) is en_US.utf-8.  From your email address, it looks like
yours should be en_AU.utf-8.  IIRC, you can use 'locale -a' to print
all supported locales.

The other question, if this doesn't work: which apps do you have it
working in now?

HTH,
Andrew

--