xfce4-terminal: set --disable-server in terminalrc

Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragao marcelpaulo+l at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 11:31:08 CET 2005

Yves-Alexis Perez wrote on Dec, 28:
> > Actually I thought of using it to get rid of these messages that are
> > output when I start xfce4-terminal:

> > Unable to register terminal service: D-BUS error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Failed: Unable to determine the address of the message bus

> You could install dbus-1-utils and restart your session :)

Uhhm, I followed your lead and discovered that these Debian packages had been
automatically installed to satisfy xfce4-terminal's dependencies:

ii  dbus-1         0.23.4-8       simple interprocess messaging system
ii  dbus-glib-1    0.23.4-8       simple interprocess messaging system (GLib-b

Which explained why I started seeing this message at boot (which I didn't
bother to look into):

Tue Dec 27 17:53:59 2005: Starting system message bus: dbus-1.

My new doubt then is: why doesn't xfce4-terminal also have dependency on
dbus-1-utils, since dbus-1 and dbus-glib-1 are not enough to provide the DBUS
service ?

If I understood things correctly, the DBUS daemon was being started (the boot
message tells me that) but no Xfce application was using it because
dbus-1-utils wasn't installed. It seems to me that either dbus-1-utils should
also be automatically pulled, or no dbus packages should be pulled at all. It
looks like dbus-1 and dbus-glib-1 are useless on their own.

Would it be the case of filing a bug against xfce4-terminal, or am I missing
something ?

Thanks for not giving up on this thread !
Paulo