Xfce themes, window border.

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 01:08:00 CET 2005

On 12/24/05, Wiktor Grebla <greblus at wp.pl> wrote:
> Hi guys

Hello

> (girls?).

None that I know of in the dev group, but I think Carol still hangs
around here in the users list

> First of all, I want to thank all of you responsible for Xfce. I've
> been using Xfce4 for some time, and it definately is _the thing_ i enjoy
> to use

Awww shucks

(svn snapshot i compiled yesterday was a nice surprice to me
> if it's about stability).
>
> Today it was kind of a gloomy day,

Merry Christmas!

so i've decided to make my xfce looking
> accordingly and basing on the "dusk" theme i wanted something dark and
> relaxing. But I cannot figure out one thing. As you can see on
> the screenshot:

The window border is handled by the WM theme, not the GTK+ theme. I'm
not using that recent an SVN version of Xfwm but it looks like the
default theme?

In $prefix/share/themes/Default/xfwm4/ you will see a whole bunch of
XPM's which define the WM theme. The *-inactive.xpm control how
inactive windows look. You could make your own theme, switching the
active for inactive pixmaps, and put it in
/$prefix/share/themes/Wiktor/xfwm4. Then, switching to the Wiktor
theme should give you what you want.

Also, thanks for the pointer at the Dusk theme. It's surprisingly
usable, except when I've got firefox open - the contrast between, say,
gmal and the browser chrome is pretty serious

> http://metawire.org/~greblus/shots/xfce4.png
>
> there is a thin white border around inactive windows and no border
> around the active ones. I've noticed that it usually helps to distinguish
> overlapping windows, especially the newly created ones, so it's the
> thing i'd like to change, leaving the inactive window's thin border and
> adding more visible one for the active windows. Any hints?
>
> Cheers,
> W.
>
> --
> Green light in a.m. for new projects.  Red light in P.M. for traffic
> tickets.

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."