How can I use XFCE to instead GNOME

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Thu Dec 8 21:34:45 CET 2005

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Mike Zang wrote:
>
>>I am running a web server(FC4) on an old laptop, I found it is very slow if
>>I use GNOME, I heard XFCE is light and better to use in my case.
>>
>>At the moment, my server is running in terminal mode, that is no problem. I
>>use in GNOME by VNC SERVER, now I want to change to XFCE, I tried, but not
>>successful, because I don't know how config for VNC,
>>
>>Does anyone help me in detail? I am new for XFCE and VNC.
>

> Create or edit $HOME./.vnc/xstartup so that it contains:
>
> --B<----B<----B<----B<----B<----B<----B<----B<----B<----B<--
> #!/bin/sh
>
> unset SESSION_MANAGER
> startxfce4
> --B<----B<----B<----B<----B<----B<----B<----B<----B<----B<--
>
> Make sure it has the executable flag:
>
> chmod +x $HOME./.vnc/xstartup
>
> HTH
> Cheers,
> Olivier.

I go a little farther with my setup.  I use Xfce on both my desktop
and in a VNC server, and I want to keep the configs separate.  I use
the following:

     export XDG_CONFIG_HOME=/users/djc/.config2
     export XDG_CACHE_HOME=/users/djc/.cache2
     unset  SESSION_MANAGER
     startxfce4 &

This way, all of the config stuff for the VNC session goes into
separate directories.

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA