Removing decorations from a window

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Tue Aug 23 07:02:10 CEST 2005

Heinrich Rebehn wrote:
> I have to object at this point. Any software should do what the *user*
> tells it to do, and if for some reason i do not want a decoration, i
> want a tool to suppress it, be it devilspie or a capable wm. After all
> this is easier for me than to edit the app's source.
> And, since i definately refuse to edit xml config files by hand, i keep
> recommending sawfish wm.

The point is that the user shouldn't have to care about things like
window managers -- what the heck are they anyway? If they want a
particular application to behave in a certain way, they should ask the
*application* not the window manager.

We periodically have this discussion on this mailing list and the answer
is always the same: we will not add cruft to the WM to unbreak applications.

There are applications that specifically do this: devilspie and wmctrl
which we recommend to users who need to do this.

There are WMs like sawfish whose maintainers are happy with unbreaking
applications. Thanks to standards, it should work just fine as a
substitute for xfwm4. You're free to do that too.

-- b