Logging into and out of XFCE

Kevin Somervill ksomervi at brokenlogo.com
Mon Aug 22 13:33:27 CEST 2005

Andrew Conkling wrote:
> I'm not sure what you're asking; where are you expecting PATH to be
> appended?  AFAIK, an xterm would not be a login shell, because you're
> not logging in.

What I am asking about is if something is set up wrong?  The terminal
(any terminal so far) starts up without a complete environment set up.
Like a 'bash $' prompt and my personal bashrc and profile are not read.
To get this setup correctly at the terminal, I has to set the shell to
be a login shell which forced the reading of the standard setup scripts.
The more I think about it, the more I think something is goofy and that
this may be why I have to list the the entire path to programs in the
panel if they are not in /usr/bin or /bin.

>>2. Is it possible to configure the keyboard shortcut for the logout
>>button/function to CTRL-ALT-DELETE? The default is to have this be lock,
>>and logout does not seem to be an available option?
>

> Window Manager settings, Keyboard tab

Sure this lets me set keyboard shortcuts, but I didn't find the log out
command. I think now that it's xfce4-ssession-logout, but not sure.

>>3. Is it possible to turn off the logout confirmation dialog?  It is
>>rather annoying.
>

> Session Manager settings, General tab

It turns out I hadn't even build the session manager. Now it's built and
installed.

Thanks,
./ks