Logging into and out of XFCE

Kevin Somervill ksomervi at brokenlogo.com
Mon Aug 22 05:50:15 CEST 2005

Hello folks,
This is my first time using XFCE and I must admit I like it.  I have
seen a few quirks which prompt the following questions related to
logging in and out of XFCE.

1. When I log in, my environment is not a login shell.  As an example,
by default theres a terminal button that when executed starts a
non-login shell.  Have I goofed something in the XFCE startup or the
user initialization (bashrc and profile*)?  To get around this, I set
xterm to be a login shell in .Xdefaults with
XTerm*loginShell:       True

A side effect of this is that if I add a button to the panel that points
to some place like /usr/local/bin I have to spec the entire path instead
of simply naming the executable?  Any suggestions?

2. Is it possible to configure the keyboard shortcut for the logout
button/function to CTRL-ALT-DELETE? The default is to have this be lock,
and logout does not seem to be an available option?

3. Is it possible to turn off the logout confirmation dialog?  It is
rather annoying.

Thanks,
./ks