xfce4 has replaced kde for all users

joe mc cool joe at benburb.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 07:54:57 CEST 2005

Chris Brault wrote:

>>with xfce4 instead of kde.
>>
>>I had really only intended xfce4 for my own personal
>>
>I don't see what the problem is. A simple upgrade of
>desktops is no
>reason to panic. You just want what's best for
>everyone ... and XFce4 is
>it.

I know, I expect my wife and kids will see that eventually.  xfce4 is so
good, it can run kde for them :-)
I've been running xfce3 for a very long time.  Delighted.

>However, if you really want to change the default
>desktop ... cough ...
>shudder ...

Only for the wee ones, for the moment.

>In /etc/X11/gdm/ (if you use gdm) look for gdm.conf

You'll notice from my initial post that (we) use kdm.

>You'll notice a line in gdm.conf:

there is no kdm.conf on this system.

>DefaultSession=default.desktop
>"default.desktop" simply says, load the default
>desktop.
>The default desktop should be loaded by
>/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients

no such file.  ls /etc/X11/xinit: xinitrc xseverrc, neither of which
contain any mention of xfce or kd[em]

>This should check the user's ~/.XClients to see what

ls ~/.X* reveals .Xauthority only

>desktop they prefer.
>
>This is obviously being over-ridden.
>The file /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients is just going with
>whatever is stated
>in /etc/sysconfig/desktop
>Check out /etc/sysconfig/desktop

ls /etc/sysconfig reveals one file called "sound"

>Change the default from DESKTOP="KDE" to
>DESKTOP="XFCE4"

:-)

Thanks a lot.

Joe