Problems with xffm/xfsamba and right-click menu in Xfce 4.2.0 (on Slackware 10.1)

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Wed Aug 17 18:36:25 CEST 2005

El mié, 17-08-2005 a las 17:00 +0100, Nick Chorley escribió:

> Heh, so there's nothing I can do? Oh well, thanks anyway. I only have
> one Linux box on the network and that's mine, so that's fine. The
> Windows boxes can see it and browse the shares.

There are things you can do. You can configure a winNS on your windows
boxes, and make sure your master browser is on all the time. The best
solution I've found is to enable SMB on a linux server which shares
printers and files for all windows boxes. This box is the master broswer
as well since it's up all the time.

OTH, if you don't want to go through all that trouble, and you turn your
windows boxes on and off all the time (and thus will not be in the
browse table immediately anyhow) just click on the "goto" option in any
of the xffm GUI's. As a path write "//name" where name is the name of
the box you want to connect to. This will put an icon in the GUI which
you just have to open to see the shares.

--
Edscott Wilson Garcia <edscott at xfce.org>