blank panel

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Sat Aug 13 18:00:59 CEST 2005

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:35:18 -0700
"Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Gavin Chester wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 08:57 +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> >
> >>Gavin Chester schreef:
> >

> > -snip-

> >>This sounds like a plugin may be blocking the panel, usually when one is
> >>trying to contact a network. Candidates are the mail checker and the
> >>weather plugin. You could try checking the
> >>~/.config/xfce4/panel/contents.xml (when the panel is not running) and
> >>removing the relevant sections.
> >>
> >>	Jasper
> >
> > GREAT - thanks, Jasper this did the trick.  I took a broad-brush
> > approach and removed all plugins (only had date/time, graphical pager
> > and mail notification).  This left only several launchers and the Xfce4
> > menu - and I got the panel back again in all its glory!  I'll try
> > rebuilding it with all except the mail pager and see how well it
> > lasts :-)
>
> <plug type="shameless">
>
> If you need a mail checker, I'd suggest using the new mailwatch plugin
> Pasi and I wrote.  It does all the network access in a separate thread
> and should never block the panel.  It's only available from Subversion
> at present, which may be a show-stopper for you.  Really, though, the
> only reason we haven't done a release is because we haven't gotten
> around to it, not because it's not stable.  You can grab an SVN snapshot at:
> http://xfce.org/~kelnos/xfce-snapshots/
> or just pull it from the SVN repository at:
> http://svn.foo-projects.org/svn/xfce/xfce4-mailwatch-plugin/trunk/
>
> </plug>
>
> 	-brian

Brian, I tried installing the mailwatch SVN snapshop on a SuSE 9.3
system. Untarring and ./configure went well but I ran into an error
during make. It says there is no libstartup-notification yet if I run
"locate libstartup-notification" I
find  /usr/lib/libstartup-notification-1.so.  I tried to create a symbolic
link with "ln -s /usr/lib/libstartup-notification-1.so
libstatrtup-notification" but that didn't help. Sorry if I'm missing
something pretty basic.  I'm admitedly way out of my depth. ;-)

John