blank panel

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 09:17:25 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 08:57 +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Gavin Chester schreef:

-snip-
> > I've killed X on their session (ctl+alt+bckspc) and got them to log in
> > again, and I've killed the panel as a process when running under their
> > name (as root), and I've even rebooted their terminal.  BTW: that shows
> > that the panel _is_ running when they are logged in.  In no case does
> > the panel seem to come back as anything resembling "a panel" _except_ I
> > saw the date/time plugin come back after the first restart, only.  Any
> > clues welcome :-/
> >

> This sounds like a plugin may be blocking the panel, usually when one is
> trying to contact a network. Candidates are the mail checker and the
> weather plugin. You could try checking the
> ~/.config/xfce4/panel/contents.xml (when the panel is not running) and
> removing the relevant sections.
>
> 	Jasper

GREAT - thanks, Jasper this did the trick.  I took a broad-brush
approach and removed all plugins (only had date/time, graphical pager
and mail notification).  This left only several launchers and the Xfce4
menu - and I got the panel back again in all its glory!  I'll try
rebuilding it with all except the mail pager and see how well it
lasts :-)

Gavin