Xfce ML FAQ - v0.3

Peter Humphrey prh at gotadsl.co.uk
Thu Aug 11 12:58:33 CEST 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> Auke Kok wrote:
>
>>o Quoting style?
>>
>>It's very hard to understand a thread of messages if they become replies
>>to reply and everyone mixes quoting styles. That's why there is

"to replies and everyone..."?

>>something called "quoting style", that

I'd prefer "which" here, but I agree it's a matter of taste.

> describes how you should quote
>>the previous posters contents when you reply to a mailinglist message.

poster's contents, please.

>>We prefer that you use "Bottom quoting". That means that you should put
>>your reply _below_ the original posters message. That way the contents
>>are in chronological order and you can read the entire message thread
>>without figuring out where the reply belongs to.
>>
>>Here's a good FAQ on how to quote:
>>
>>http://web.presby.edu/~nnqadmin/nnq/nquote.html
>>
>>Basically:
>>
>>+ quote at the bottom
>>+ prune text from the quote that is irrelevant
>>+ remove footers and headers (condense)
>>+ put the reply directly next to (in between) the original text

[...]

> So that's two things to fix:
>
> We prefer that you use "bottom posting" ...
>
> and
>
> + quote at the top
> or
> + post at the bottom

And a third, small one: "where the reply belongs", please, not "where the
thread belongs to". The usage "belongs to" is for belonging to a person, or
by extension to a thing, whereas the "belongs" meaning here is "ought to
be", rather than ownership.

[...]
--
Rgds