Automatic focus settings

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Thu Aug 11 11:00:33 CEST 2005

This one is beginning to drive me up the wall I'm afraid, and I've not
found the middle ground I'm looking for - although admittedly I don't
think it is a feature of other window managers/desktops.

In the Window Manager Preferences there is the option to 'Automatically
give focus to newly created windows'. This is great, but is there a way
to only do this for sub-windows (or daughter windows?). Basically am
often working in a window and have another window created (either
because, for example, I've started an application in the background or
because Gaim pops up with a message from somebody). These windows I
don't want to give focus to. If I disable the setting, however, password
windows and other windows created from the application I am working in
don't get focus.

As an aside to this, I am working with 'Focus follows mouse' and
'Automatically raise windows when they receive focus' disabled.

I have a feeling this is likely to be a feature request rather than have
a currently available fix, but you never know :)

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/