Login Stuck at KDM Screen

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Aug 2 19:08:07 CEST 2005

   Running Slackware-10.1 on a ThinkPad 600E with Xfce-4.2.1. This past
weekend my fiancee could not log in to her account on this machine because
she could not get out of an infinite loop at the login screen. Same thing
happens if I try to log in as a user or as root. Entry of username and
password does not start xfce but returns the login screen.

   This has not happened before.

   My temporary solution was to boot with a Knoppix disk and change
/etc/inittab from runlevel 4 to runlevel 3. At least we can now log in to the
console and run 'startx' (which is an alias to startxfce4).

   I've no idea where to look for the cause of the problem or what file to
change to try GDM rather than KDM. In her ~/.config/xfce4 there's no xinitrc
file. But, xfce does come up with session management working.

   I'd like to resolve this as quickly as possible, so any thoughts,
suggestions, or ideas are welcome.

TIA,

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |  Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"