General XFCE GUI nitpicks

James Cho jamec at umich.edu
Sat Apr 9 02:34:41 CEST 2005

I've got some general GUI suggestions, dealing with little things that I
think need a little change.  Here's a short list:

Panel
 - Make drop down menus vanish upon any non-menu click (as in Windows,
OS X etc.)
 - Drag and drop support... 4.4 maybe?
 - Keep the panel "active" and usable when viewing Item properties

Launchers
 - Set the "Attach menu to launcher" checkbox to "unchecked" by default
 - Remove the "Add launcher" item from attached menus.  Instead, add a
right click menu that duplicates the right click menu of Panel
Launchers.  Adds GUI consistency and shrinks the menu size nicely.
 - Get rid of tear-off menus maybe?  Are they really used often?  I've
noticed every linux WM or desktop environment allows for liberal menu
tear-offs, where OS X and Windows do not.  I never use them and think
they just clutter the menus, but then again, I grew up on Windows.

Etc.
 - Keep corner buttons (close/minimize/shade etc.) visible in background
windows

I really apologize if these have already been discussed thoroughly and
discarded.  I'd like to know what you all think though, and whether you
have your own little annoyances with bits of XFCE.

-jc