Minimising system compiling time

Peter Humphrey prh at gotadsl.co.uk
Wed Apr 6 11:49:49 CEST 2005

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 12:56:37 -0700
"Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Peter Humphrey wrote:
>
> >I'm running Gentoo on a dual-Opteron box and from time to time I
> >decide to recompile the entire system - absolutely everything on the
> >disk apart from a handful of binary packages. Needless to say, this
> >takes a long time, and I'd like to find the best setup for shortening
> >it.
> >

> Simple solution: stop wasting your time and don't recompile your
> system.

I'm not doing so whimsically; the need arises from trying to keep up
with latest developments and building a working system from the
available sources. I've been through the process several times in the
last few weeks, and now I finally have a nearly stable 2005.0 system. My
questions assumed that I'd need to do it again sometime; that's all.

> Contrary to your opinion, I'd also imagine that running the compile
> directly on a console (i.e., not in X) would work as well.

Of course it works, assuming your "as well" means "also", not "equally".

> I can't be certain, but I seriously doubt the framebuffer driver
> actually writes to the framebuffer while you're on a different VC.

That's how I think it should work, but it seems not to. If I switch back
from another VC I see the output in full flow, continuing apparently
from where it is, not picking up from where I left it. I can't think of
a way to test this properly, which is another reason for my query,
though I'll continue to watch what happens.

> On a side note, this has exactly what to do with Xfce?  I would think
> #gentoo or forums.gentoo.org would be a more on-topic place for this.

I was asking about the behaviour of X under XFce. It has little to do
with the flavour of Linux I'm running.

--
Rgds
Peter Humphrey