confused with "system" menu

Qiangning Hong hongqn at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 19:21:04 CEST 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 1:12 AM, Alexander Toresson <alexander.toresson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you mean the root menu, accessed by right-clicking on the desktop?
> If so, xfce4-menueditor will do the job.

No, I'm not talking about that.

> If you mean the part of the root menu that is including the system menus,
> these are imported from gnome and kde menus, and I have no idea how to
> change that one. Maybe there's a menu-editor for gnome or kde?

Yes, the system menus.

I think XFCE is compatible with the freedesktop standard, which
defines the application menu using desktop files.  And actually, every
entrie shown in appfinder is correspond to a desktop file in
/usr/share/applications/ directory.  If you add/remove/modify the
desktop file, the system menu will change too.

To show this, you can do the following test: copy and rename
xfcalendar.desktop to myxfcalendar.desktop, and edit it with a
utf8-compatible editor (I use vim), change Name to "My Calendar",
change Categories to "Other", and save it.  Then right click at
desktop, you will see there is a "Other" submenu with a "My Calendar"
entry inside the system menu.

So, I believe the system menu is associated with desktop files, too,
just like appfinder.

The appfinder utility acts ideally, but the system menu behaves some
odd.  Some entries don't show, e.g. the openoffice writer entry in my
first post; some enties show in not-know-why categories, e.g. the
xfcalendar in system menu is in "Office" category, however the desktop
file tells it should be in "Calendar", and you can not find it in
appfinder's Office category.

So this is what makes me confuse.  The system menu seems get
infomation from desktop files and use the info to generate menus in a
mannar that I cannot understand.

--
Qiangning Hong
Get Firefox! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=67907&t=1>