XFCE selection in KDM

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Thu Sep 30 18:54:59 CEST 2004

Andrew Conkling wrote:

> Felix Miata <mrmazda at ij.net> had occasion to say the following:

> > I expected this to be done automatically as a result of installing the
> > 20-some ollakka rpms for SuSE 9.1. I was told on the SuSE e mailing
> > list that this worked for someone else. I didn't for me. This isn't
> > for my own system, but someone I'm trying to wean off windoze, but on
> > a low RAM old Packard Bell.

> > http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=documentation&lang=en says as
> > follows: "Alternatively, you can make your own ~/.xinitrc file or
> > ~/.xsession if you use a graphical login manager." That's what I want,
> > but I have no clue how, and I don't see the subject in the FAQ. Is
> > there some easy solution for someone used to just picking KDE off the
> > login manager menu and just wants to get the gratis job over with?

> You can just copy the system one (I'm not sure where SuSE puts it,
> probably somewhere in /etc/) over to ~/.xfce4/xinitrc and edit it to
> your heart's (or RAM's) content.  Just make sure to make it executable;
> that used to be a bug and honestly, I don't remember whether it's been
> fixed in 4.0.6 (assuming that's what you're running).

On thinking about what I wrote, I realize I didn't request what I really
wanted, which is for XFCE to be an option in KDM no matter which user
wants to login.

/opt/kde3/share/apps/kdm/sessions/xfce.desktop exists, executable, and
about 4K. I have no idea whether anything needs doing to it to use it.
What needs to be done to put xfce into KDM?
http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=documentation&lang=en doesn't seem to
even touch this subject.
--
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord."        Psalm 33:12 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/