Programs using X freeze while switching windows

Ondrej Mihalyi mihalyi at matfyz.cz
Wed Sep 29 17:11:29 CEST 2004

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:57:21 +0200
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 22:53, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 22:37, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > > so, unless you can remove the grab and somehow keep the outline-drawing
> > > feature, my vote is firmly in favor of leaving it as-is.
> >
> > I'll see what I can do.
>
> Oki, done.
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier.

If this means that you managed to remove the grab, then that is great.

If not, I have an idea how to eliminate the problem of frozen apps - To shorten the grab of X server, the position of a window would be outlined just for a short time (e.g. 1 second) - meaning not all the time the Alt button is pressed - and then the X server could be dropped, and after each repetitive press of the Tab button, the position of other window would be outlined for a short time.

This would help prevent other applications to be stuck for the whole time while using the Alt+Tab feature, and furthermore there would be no need to drop the nice feature of showing window posistions.

This is not a requirement, just an idea, I hope I'm not bugging you, Olivier, too much :)

Ondro