xfce4-panel won't unhide

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Sep 22 01:15:55 CEST 2004

On 09/21/04 18:14, Patrick Wiseman wrote:
> My panel's stuck in 'hide' mode and won't unhide.  This is not the first
> time this has happened, but I can't see what I did, other than wake up the
> machine from a locked screen (xscreensaver).

what version of xfce are you using?  there are some known issues with
autohide all over, esp with the 4.0 branch.

> Is this a known bug?  It takes a restart of X to correct.  Why is there no
> longer an option from a desktop menu to restart everything without leaving
> X?  That used to be a standard feature of wm's.

only WM i can think of that does that is E16.  then again, i suppose i
haven't used any of the *box WMs, etc.  anyway, why should you absolutely
need to restart the environment?  if there are bugs that require a restart,
the bugs should be fixed, rather than putting a band-aid over the problem.

as for the panel, you can easily restart it yourself if it gets stuck:
$ killall -USR1 xfce4-panel

	-brian