New Xorg features in Xfce: what will they be?

purslow at sympatico.ca purslow at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 20 05:57:02 CEST 2004

040919 Paul Ladouceur - NUXTEK Informatique Inc. wrote:
> Andrew Conkling wrote:
>> I read Xfce was going to be adding some features to its next release
>> to take advantage of the new X.org features --
>> compositing and transparency, chiefly (AFAIK).
>> Can someone tell us a bit about what those might be? :-)
> Just go see this link:
>   http://freedesktop.org/~keithp/screenshots/
> ...images worth thousand words... ;)

sure are : to me they look an unsightly mess (grimace).
ok, i understand no-one wb forced to use them & they're fun to program,
but really i want a desktop which totally lacks distractions
& has simple windows with easy-to-read type.
does anyone really work with all those things jumbled on top of each other ?
do they really want transparent text & shadows interfering with reading ?
isn't that why we have multiple desktops, ie to keep apps separate ?

i don't mean to spoil the fun, but you should have a user's reaction (smile).

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca