xftaskbar4 segfault

Allen Ziegenfus listmail at allenz.net
Sat Sep 18 06:03:32 CEST 2004

Hello,

I've been a happy xfce4 user for a while now, but lately I've been
seeing some crashes. When I start up xfce, the task bar doesn't load,
and if I load it manually I get a segfault. Also, clicking on the
"logout" icon on my xfce-panel causes the panel to crash and no logout
to occur. I also have been having some crashes in some GTK apps like
AbiWord and Gnumeric when just clicking on the menus.  I'm wondering if
there could be some connection between all these crashes; perhaps an
icon loading library somehow is at fault?

The details on this xftaskbar4 crash are as follows. If I run it
manually, first it tells me that it can't connect to the Session Manager
and then it crashes in libxfcegui4 at the following location.

netk_tasklist_size_request (widget=0x0, requisition=0x5) at
netk-tasklist.c:824 824
	n_grouped_buttons += g_list_length (app_task->windows) - 1;

app_task here is a null pointer. The widget pointer passed in here is
also null.

As far as my environment I'm running gentoo on a DEC alpha with pretty
recent libraries (gtk+-2.4.9). This crash may have started after I
upgraded to xfce 4.0.6.

Could someone give me some pointers as to figuring out exactly what's
going on here and how to get rid of these crashes?

Thanks,

Allen Ziegenfus