Cannot open firefox from link if it is already running

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at cox.net
Wed Sep 8 06:14:53 CEST 2004

Okay, I've got it fixed. Chris, the three lines that you supplied need
the name of the script that in turn passes the URL to firefox, not
firefox directly. In my case I called the script firefox_link. Here's
the script:

#!/bin/sh
export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/usr/local/firefox/firefox-installer"

url="$1"
if [ "x$url" = "x" ]; then
url="about:blank"
fi

if $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/mozilla-xremote-client -a firefox
openURL\("$url",new-tab\); then
exit 0
fi
exec $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/firefox "$url"

And here's the lines I added prefs.js:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http","/usr/local/bin/firefox_link");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https","/usr/local/bin/firefox_link");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp","/usr/local/bin/firefox_link");

Thanks for the help, I hope this isn't so far off topic that others
won't find it useful.

Bob S.