Cannot open firefox from link if it is already running

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Sep 2 23:13:58 CEST 2004

On 09/02/04 14:06, Chris Kacoroski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am sure there is way to fix this (I do not have the problem with KDE).
>    If I have a firefox window open and then I click on a link in
> another application (e.g. thunderbird, xffm, the panel, etc) I get the
> choose user dialog and cannot open the link unless I exit the existing
> firefox windows.  Other than this, I am completely sold on xfce as it is
> much simpler, easier, and more intuitive than kde or gnome. Thanks for
> your help.

this has nothing to do with xfce.  you need some kind of script that will
launch firefox properly.  basically it needs to end up doing something like
this:

firefox -remote "openURL(http://google.com,new-window)"

i believe there are much more functional anf featureful scripts floating
around that will first check to see if firefox is running, etc.  google is
your friend ^_^.

	-brian