session

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 22 23:56:00 CEST 2004

On 10/22/04 12:10, ewajacobs wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 17:53 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote
> > you need to have sudo set up to allow your user to run 'shutdown', and
> > possibly 'reboot', 'halt', and/or 'poweroff' as well.
> Nice try ;)
> But I already did 'chmod +s /sbin/poweroff' and the same for reboot ages
> ago, so that isn't the problem. :)
> Cheers

hmm, last time i tried that, when i ran it, it noticed the suid bit and
refused to shut the machine down (presumably, for security reasons).  at
any rate, i believe the shutdown helper requires that sudo be set up
properly, so the permissions on the binaries themselves are irrelevant.

i believe the "nice try" goes to you ^_~.

cheers,
brian